Beets Gone Wild
I didn’t want to post two beet posts in a row, but this dish forced my hand. Really. I had no choice. This warm dish makes my mouth water. It’s earthy, creamy delicousness.
Wild rice makes up the base of this dish, which is then peppered with boiled beets, fresh herbs and feta cheese. Don’t forget the feta cheese. I imagine goat cheese would also be good, but really, when isn’t goat cheese a good addition to a dish?
Boil the beets and cook the rice at the same time. Even though they both take about 40 minutes to cook (depending on the size of your beets), it is best to cook them separately and combine them afterwards so you can control the seasoning of the wild rice.
While wild rice has a nice grassy, earthy flavor, it is still pretty bland. Using some vegetable broth and fresh herbs really adds depth. Homemade vegetable broth is delicious, but not always as convenient as bullion cubes or paste. I’ve tried a plethora of vegetarian bullion over the years, and I tend to have a variety of options on hand for different purposes. For this recipe, I used Rapunzel bullion (without salt) because it has a gentle flavor that enhances this dish instead of overpowering it.
The fresh thyme and rosemary added an intense aroma and flavor that is unmatched by the dried versions. The dried versions will do in a pinch, but the fresh herbs make this out of this world!
- 1 cup chopped cooked beets (about two large raw beets)
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 bullion cube
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons feta cheese, crumbled
- Cook the beets: Scrub the outsides of the beets well. Bring a pot of salted water to boil and add the beets. Cover, reduce heat to a low boil and cook for about 40 minutes, or until easily pierced with a fork. Drain and dunk the beets into ice water. When cool enough to handle, rub off the peel. Chop into 1/4 inch chunks. Alternatively, you can use canned beets. Warm canned beets in the microwave or on the stove gently and chop into small chunks.
- Rinse the rice well. Place into a medium saucepan and add 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil. Stir in the bullion cube, thyme and rosemary. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook for about 40 minutes. Rice is done when it has split open and is tender. Drain any excess water.
- Toss the rice and the beets together in a medium bowl. Add salt, pepper, and the butter. Stir until the butter has melted. Taste and adjust seasonings. Stir in feta cheese and serve warm.